About the network
Spparenet =SPECIAL PATHOGEN RESEARCH NETWORK Limited is a not-for-profit research organization that has declared war against preventable mortality and poverty due to diseases commonly associated with identified group of organisms hereafter called special pathogens.
About the Special Pathogens
They are called special pathogens in this context because:
- they are involved in severe but preventable diseases common among inhabitants of resource limited developing country settings.
- despite the fact that they are extremely severe and highly infectious, studies for better understanding of the pathogens and associated diseases are not common
- lack of updated surveillance, epidemiological, social, demographic and geographic data on special pathogens associated with tropical diseases have greatly impacted on the severity and escalation of associated disease.
- They are common underlying disease misdiagnosed and mistreated due to poor facilities in developing countries
- They may be taken as neglected and/or emerging/re-emerging depending on the extent of their involvement in causing preventable death and poverty.
- Therefore if any microorganism causes preventable death and poverty, it qualifies in our context to be special pathogen.
The mandate of this network is about the fight to reduce or eliminate the high rates of morbidity, mortality and poverty due to illnesses associated with special pathogens in resource limited developing countries.
This argument therefore favors research about the need for urgent action in harnessing and developing untapped local research potentials for assistance by local and international charities/donors with the ultimate goal of containing the preventable high mortality and poverty rates due to intensifying tropical pandemics associated with special pathogens.
Rational for Starting
Spparenet limited was started by a consortium of global research, academic, administrative and political experts whose aim is to harness and develop untapped local research potentials for assistance by local and international charities/donors with the ultimate goal of containing the high mortality and poverty rates due to intensifying tropical pandemics associated with special pathogens.
Thus the emergence of efficient focused and dependable local capacity became highly necessary in view of evident widening gap between disease escalation and existing local capacity, incapacitated by poor resources.
Consequently, Spparenet limited aims to contain the escalation of preventable sicknesses, poverty and death of innocent, young and old citizens, living in developing countries.
Giving the ordinary citizens a better and a more meaningful life is possible and a society free of untimely death due to preventable diseases associated with the identified special pathogens is achievable.